Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Mercury Music Prize 2005

What an absolutely fantastic shortlist and awards occasion last night on Beeb Four. 'Antony and the Johnsons' were the most deserving winner amongst tough competition. [well done Stew, pint of 1664 Blanc please with your winnings!!]

The track ('Hope There's Someone') he performed on the show last night absolutely kills me every time; haunting, mesmerising, uplifting ... takes me off somewhere every time I hear it.

I don't think I have heard such diversity in the shortlist and wanted to go out and expand my 'record collection' so thoroughly with such an eclectic mix of albums; the indie folk of 'Seth Lakeman' (v cute, moving to Devon immediately ....), the prog jazz sound of 'Polar Bear' and for just sheer energy and enthusiasm 'The Go! Team'.

All of last night's performances were awesome, demonstrating real talent in the British music industry - encouraging to see/hear.

One thing that did taint things a little is the apparent 'sour grapes' about Antony Hegarty and his nationality. Unnecessary. He's British - end of!! Of course you could say that I am biased because he is originally from Chichester and therefore we are virtually related ;o)

.........................................................................................................
Your comments please on the result and the shortlist ...

Say no to synthetic, manufactured pop kids!!!!
Liberate your ear drums!!!!

1 comment:

Debsa said...

Cheers for your comment and for reading my boring old blog!!